No ‘Bonfire Night’ is complete without a big bag of jaw-breaking, teeth-sticking Treacle Toffee, so why not make your own with this super simple, delicious Treacle Toffee recipe from Baking Mad. Enjoy!
- 75g butter (unsalted)
- 450g unrefined demerara sugar
- 125ml water
- 100ml Golden syrup
- 100ml Black treacle
- 1tbsp White wine vinegar
- Butter a 15cm square tin.
- Put all the ingredients into a heavy based saucepan and heat slowly. Once the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, increase the heat to bring the mixture to the boil.
- If you are using a sugar thermometer boil to 160C. Or test by dropping a small amount into a glass of cold water. It’s ready when a blob of toffee is slightly stretchy but breaks with pressure.
- Pour into the tin and leave it to set. To help break into even sized pieces, mark/score the toffee when it is partially set.
- Break the toffee into pieces when it is completely cool.
- If you have the patience and inclination, you can then individually wrap each piece in greaseproof paper to stop it from sticking together.