What feels like many moons ago, I studied at Tokyo University and thus started my obsession with Japanese food.
Sushi, sashimi, tempura, noodles and miso; I would eat it day in, day out if I could so I’m planning on sharing a variety of my favourite Japanese recipes on the blog over the coming months.
This classic chilli chicken ramen is a favourite of mine and is so easy to prepare.
* 2 chicken breasts
* Vegetable oil, for oiling
* salt and pepper
* 250g (9oz) ramen noodles
* 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) chicken or vegetable stock
* 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
* 1 or 2 (depending on how spicy you want it!) red chillis, finely sliced
* 150g beansprouts
* Half a red onion, finely sliced
* Coriander to garnish
1. Preheat the grill or griddle pan
2. Lightly oil and season the chicken breasts and grill for 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, slice on the diagonal and set aside.
3. Cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
4. Drain, refresh under cold running water and divide between two bowls
5. Heat the chicken or vegetable stock until boiling
6. Add the beansprouts for 2-3 minutes until tender and pour the stock and beansprouts into the two bowls.
7. Top with the sliced chicken, spring onions, chillis, red onion and coriander.